- Eye turn is not the problem- only a symptom.
- Eye turn is not an eye muscle problem- hence why surgery to correct an eye turn is just a cosmetic treatment.
- Not an eye muscle problem- it is a brain thing
- 3-6 mounts of age is when eye teaming develops
- Eye turn is a binocular vision problem
- Goal in vision therapy is to make the patient a two eyed person
- 83% of the acuity goes back with just passive patching. Passive patching: just putting a patch over "strong eye" to use "weaker eye" for a number of hours without any stimulation.
- Does your child have a constant head tilt? Head tilt to the left means your right eye is dominant. Head tilt to the right means you are left eye dominant.
- Head tilt compensates for what going on. It helps suppress other eye.
- The eyes don't tell us what to see. The brain tells your eyes what to look for.
- Sue Barry- does Brock String exercise 5-10 minutes a day. Still!
- With Vision Therapy we try to develop a new neuro-pathway.
- If the visual system is not your child's dominant sense then they touch everything or are easily distracted. Who can relate with this?
- Call the "good/strong eye" the "teaching eye" and the "bad/weaker eye" the "learning eye".
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
It's a Brain Thing
Coming back from the seminar, I was filled with more knowledge and therapy procedures. I was excited to show my patients some new fun exercises. Today I am going to share some of my notes I wrote down: